It’s a week already since the precision lockdown in the four local government areas of the state.The affected areas: Ilesha East, Ilesha West, Atakumosa East and Atakumosa West; were locked down by an order of the State Government as part of measures to contain the recent surge in number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the State.
2. The four local government areas had to be locked down with effect from Tuesday 7th July 2020 upon discoveries that community transmission of the coronavirus was active in that axis of the State.
3. The State Government appreciates the people of Ijeshaland for the level of compliance to the lockdown directive. Although, there were reports of breaches and violations, a commendable percentage showed responsibility through their compliance.
4. The State Government also appreciates the efforts of the Joint Task Force that oversaw the enforcement of the week-long lockdown, as well as the services of healthcare workers and media professionals.
5. It is imperative to note that the condition that necessitated the precision lockdown – community transmission – is still active in the areas.
6. However, based on undertakings and assurance received from traditional and religious leaders as well as civil society groups within the axis, that compliance with safety guidelines shall be strictly adhered to going forward; the State Government has approved a CONDITIONAL EASE of lockdown in the four local government areas with effect from the midnight of Monday 13th July 2020.
7. Physical meetings and mass gatherings in any form remain banned in that axis and indeed throughout the state till further notice.
8. Notwithstanding the ease of the lockdown, enforcement of safety protocols – especially the use of nose mask in public places – must be continued in the axis, and non-adherents will be sanctioned.
9. The State Government wishes to reiterate that any form of breakdown in adherence to the safety protocols against COVID-19 in the four local government areas , shall force the government to reimpose the lockdown.
10. The State Government under the leadership of Governor Adegboyega Oyetola, will do everything necessary to protect the lives and properties of citizens from actual and potential dangers.
11. Citizens are therefore warned against actions that sabotage the efforts of the government, by adhering to the safety protocols and directives of the State Government in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
12. The State Government seizes this opportunity to remind Osun citizens to wash their hands regularly , use alcohol-based sanitizer , wear face mask and maintain social distance.
Prince Wole Oyebamiji
Secretary to the State Government